The week before last the Independent Newspaper (UK) had a very interesting supplement on Madrid, which you can now view online. Here is a summary of the various sections:
- 24 Hours In: Madrid – The travel writer Simon Calder kicks off the day in Puerta del Sol, heads off to the Plaza Mayor and then gets over to the Bernabeu Stadium. In the evening he samples Jazz at the Café Central.
- Madrid: A world-class exhibitionist – Cathy Packe takes a look at the works of art on display in the Centro de Arte Reina Sofia, the Prado and Thyssen-Bornemisza Museums.
- Madrid: Art and craft – Cathy Packe takes a trip to Madrid’s Real Fábrica de Tapices – the Royal Tapestry Factory.
- Madrid: Dining with the locals – Alex Leith samples Madrid’s ‘nueva cocina’ – including Sergi Arola, Ferran Adrià and Sergi Santiago – and the older establishments like Botin.
- Madrid’s park life – a shot article by Cathy Packe on Madrid’s parks.
- Madrid: The traveller’s guide to what’s in store – A look at the shops in Madrid’s fashionable Salamanca, shopping malls, department stores (well, El Corte Inglés) and even the Rastro Flea Market.
- Madrid: Adventures in clubland – Alex Leith gives a pretty good round-up of Madrid’s trendiest clubs.
- Chic Madrid – Madrid’s chic, boutique hotels.
- Madrid: Great days out – Simon Calder heads off to Aranjuez, Chinchón and Alcalá de Henares.